A Forklift Attorney Can Help You Seek Damages After an Accident
Millions of people are injured while on the job every year. The risk of a workplace accident is especially high for those in the field of construction. One of the most common types of construction accidents involves forklifts. After a forklift accident, workers should file a workers’ compensation claim. Unfortunately, a workers’ comp settlement rarely covers the full extent of accident damages.
Forklift attorneys and construction accident lawyers at Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP, in White Plains, NY, can help injury victims consider their legal options. Oftentimes third parties can be held accountable for the physical, emotional, and financial losses related to a forklift accident.
Types of Forklift Accidents
Construction sites have a lot of heavy equipment and machinery, which is one of the reasons that the risk of an accident is so high. As with any other type of construction vehicle, forklifts can be difficult to control and maneuver, especially if a worker has not been properly trained or if the forklift has malfunctioned.
The most common types of forklift accidents include:
- Forklift rollovers - Forklift rollovers/tip-overs can occur when a forklift is off balance or when the center of gravity shifts. These types of accidents are usually the result of improperly loaded cargo or loading the forklift beyond its capacity.
- Collisions - Collisions refer to any forklift accident where the forklift strikes another person, object, or construction vehicle. Forklift drivers have limited visibility, especially when cargo is loaded. Collisions usually occur when a driver fails to properly check their surroundings before moving the forklift.
- Falling loads - Forklifts are used to move materials from one location to another. If a forklift load is loose, off-center, or unsecured, it can slide, shift, or fall off. Falling loads can seriously injure anyone who is nearby.
- Mechanical failures - Forklifts have a lot of complex parts. If even one part is defective it can affect the safety of the forklift. Mechanical failures are often the result of a manufacturing error or neglect of routine maintenance.
Forklift Accident Injuries
Forklift accidents can result in a wide range of injuries for our White Plains clients. The kind of injury that a person suffers and its severity is largely dependent on the type of accident that takes place.
Potential forklift injuries include:
- Lacerations and contusions
- Crush injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Loss of limbs
Forklift accident injuries can be extremely painful. Many require extensive treatment and a long recovery period. Some may cause permanent damage.
Maximizing Compensation for Accident Damages
Employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance to cover the damages associated with a workplace accident. However, the compensation provided by workers’ comp is limited. Typically, insurance covers financial losses related to medical expenses and lost wages. Unfortunately, they do not cover non-economic losses, such as pain and suffering.
Our forklift attorneys work with accident victims in the White Plains area to determine if a third party may be liable for a construction accident. If so, a lawsuit can be filed to pursue compensation for losses that are not covered by workers’ compensation.
Contact Our Law Firm
If you have been injured in a forklift accident, you may be due compensation beyond what is being offered by workers’ comp insurance. To discuss the details of your situation with the construction accident lawyers at Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP, contact our law firm online, or call us at (914) 686-3700.