Any car accident can cause serious injuries, but the injuries sustained in a rollover accident can be catastrophic. When rollover accidents are caused by the negligence of another driver, a car accident lawyer may be able to recover damages for injured parties.
At Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP, our attorneys represent clients injured in rollover car accidents in and around White Plains, NY, to help them get the compensation they deserve.
The Dangers of Rollover Accidents
Rollover accidents are extremely dangerous. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA), rollover accidents have a higher fatality rate than any other kind of traffic accident, accounting for almost 35 percent of all passenger vehicle accident fatalities.
Those who survive a rollover accident often suffer from serious injuries with lifelong consequences. Recovering from a rollover accident can leave victims with mounting medical bills and unable to return to work. Both of these factors can add financial strain to an already stressful time.
Causes of Rollover Accidents
Rollover accidents can happen when a driver loses control and hits a curb, obstruction, or another vehicle. There are many reasons that can cause a driver to lose control of a vehicle; often, it's due to negligent, risky behavior. Some possible causes of rollover accidents include:
- Speeding: Speeding and driving faster than is safe for road conditions can increase the risk of rolling over in an accident.
- Driving under the influence: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol impairs judgment, affects vision, and makes it difficult to control a vehicle. This can lead to a fatal or life-threatening rollover accident.
- Fatigued driving: Just like driving under the influence, driving while fatigued can impair judgment, cause delays in reaction, and lead to serious accidents.
- Rural roads: Rural roads often lack road dividers or barriers that can help stop a vehicle. Rural roads are also frequently unlit or have few lights, making it difficult to see curves and other changes in the road. All of this can increase the risk of rollover accidents on rural roads.
- Type of vehicle: Although it's possible that any vehicle can rollover in an accident, those that have higher centers of gravity, like trucks and SUVS, are more likely to roll over.
- Weather conditions: Wet or icy roads in and around White Plains can make road conditions dangerous, increasing the risk of drivers losing control of their vehicles and ending up in a rollover accident.
Rollover Accidents Can Cause Serious Injuries
Rollover accidents are violent events that can cause a vehicle to roll multiple times before stopping. Each time the vehicle rolls presents an opportunity for serious injury, including death. Some possible injuries sustained in rollover accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Internal bleeding
- Bone fractures
- Spinal cord injuries, which can cause paralysis
Contact the Attorneys of Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP
If you live in White Plains and have been injured in a rollover car accident, we welcome you to call (914) 686-3700 to schedule a consultation with the car accident attorneys of Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Our attorneys can help.