While auto accidents can happen at any time while you are on the road, there are certain times when collisions are more likely than others.
At Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP, in White Plains, NY, we consider national and statewide crash numbers, and then break them down by time of day, day of the week, and month of the year. You may be surprised what these numbers reveal about auto crashes. Learn more about the times of the day that car accidents are more common.
National Statistics on Auto Collisions
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently released their numbers on 2018 fatal crashes. According to these initial statistics, 36,750 people were killed in car crashes last year. In 2017, there were 37,133 fatalities from motor vehicle collisions.
Most Dangerous Hours of the Day
Here, our attorneys in White Plains breakdown of the most dangerous times behind the wheel.
According to numbers compiled by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), the breakdown of fatal crashes by hours of the day in 2017 was as follows:
- Midnight to 3am - 4,093 (11 percent)
- 3am to 6am - 3,065 (8 percent)
- 6am to 9am - 3,629 (10 percent)
- 9am to noon - 3,432 (9 percent)
- Noon to 3pm - 4,939 (13 percent)
- 3pm to 6pm - 5,957 (16 percent)
- 6pm to 9pm - 6,263 (17 percent)
- 9pm to midnight - 5,478 (15 percent)
Most Dangerous Days of the Week
The IIHS, HLDI also broke down collisions by day of the week. In 2017, the fatal crash breakdown was as follows:
- Sunday - 5,854 (16 percent)
- Monday - 4,723 (13 percent)
- Tuesday - 4,729 (13 percent)
- Wednesday - 4,647 (13 percent)
- Thursday - 4,963 (13 percent)
- Friday - 5,793 (16 percent)
- Saturday - 6,424 (17 percent)
Most Dangerous Months of the Year
According to national breakdown numbers from the IIHS, HLDI, the monthly breakdown of crashes are as follows:
- January - 2,834 (8 percent)
- February - 2,514 (7 percent)
- March - 2,924 (8 percent)
- April - 2,963 (8 percent)
- May - 3,167 (9 percent)
- June - 3,262 (9 percent)
- July - 3,514 (9 percent)
- August - 3,154 (8 percent)
- September - 3,331 (9 percent)
- October - 3,322 (9 percent)
- November - 3,095 (8 percent)
- December - 3,053 (8 percent)
Speak with Our Team of Car Accident Lawyers
If you live in White Plains or surrounding areas and would like more information about your legal options following an auto collision, be sure to contact our team of skilled car accident lawyers online at your earliest convenience. The team at Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP, can be also reached by phone at (914) 686-3700.
Car accidents can result in significant injuries and costly bills. We can schedule a case review so our attorneys can determine if you should move forward with your auto accident claim. We can also discuss the type of damages awarded in these cases, including compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and in particularly egregious cases, punitive damages.