Medical Malpractice and Surgical Errors
If you or a loved one suffered an injury or unnecessary pain due to an error that occurred in preparation for or during surgery, you may have a medical malpractice case.
At Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP, in White Plains, NY, we can review your case to determine if medical negligence or malpractice contributed to your injury. Learn more about medical malpractice and surgical errors in this blog post.
What Causes a Surgical Error?
Surgical errors are caused by any number of mistakes, including:
- Performing surgery at the wrong site, or making an improper incision
- Performing the wrong surgical procedure
- Operating on the wrong patient
- Surgeon fatigue
- Incompetence or lack of adequate training
- A preoperative plan that does not properly account for the procedure
- Improper processes used during the surgery
- A surgeon who operates while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Anesthesia error
- Leaving instruments or other medical tools in the patient
The medical team has a duty to properly plan and perform a surgery. Many surgical errors are avoidable and can be prevented with proper training and safety practices.
We can help patients who have been hurt while under the care of a physician seek damages for their injuries.
We will investigate the circumstances around your case to determine if the error could have been avoided. The negligence that led to the surgical error may have been made by a surgeon, anesthesiologist, or nurse, or due to improper practices put in place by the facility.
Signs and Consequences of Surgical Errors
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms after surgery, a surgical error may have occurred:
- Pain near the incision site
- Excessive vomiting
- Redness and swelling around the incision
- Infection near the surgery site
- Other conditions the physician did not advise were a possible effect of the surgery
If you begin to experience any of these symptoms, or anything else that feels out of the ordinary, consult a doctor immediately. Left untreated, surgical errors can lead to nerve and spinal cord damage, a punctured internal organ and organ failure, an infection, and even death.
How a Medical Malpractice Lawyer Can Help
During your case, your lawyer will work to:
- Establish liability, through expert testimony and by showing industry acceptable standards of care were not met.
- Protect your rights by including timely claims against the physician, facility, and insurance providers.
- Calculate the damages needed to compensate you for your injuries, including reimbursement for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages. In the event of a fatality, damages include a loss of consortium and the final arrangement costs.
Contact Our Practice
If you or a loved one is experiencing pain after a surgery and are concerned a surgical error was made, work with the medical malpractice lawyers at Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP. Call (914) 686-3700 or contact us online.