(914) 686-3700
Toll Free: (866) 582-3071

Drunk Driving Accidents & Injuries Increase During Holidays

Posted on: November 17, 2015

drunk driving and the lawAt this time of year, thoughts turn to the holidays, and the accompanying celebrations with friends and family, including your work family.  It’s good to celebrate the season.  It’s also necessary to remember your responsibility to act safely while operating a vehicle, and to be vigilant while you are a pedestrian.  The roads are often full of drivers who have had too much to drink, especially around the holidays.

The White Plains accident attorneys at Worby Groner Edelman have decades of experience representing the victims of motor vehicle accidents.  The sad truth is that we have seen clients maimed and scarred for life due to the actions of an intoxicated driver.

How Much is Too Much?

What the Law Says About Blood Alcohol Level

Some people say that they are still sober after one or two drinks.  The law is far more objective; if your blood alcohol level is above the legal limit, you will be considered to be intoxicated, and dealt with accordingly.  All you have to do is read the newspaper, and watch the news for stories of seemingly good and decent people who are prosecuted for serious crimes, with potential major jail terms, all for a crime that was so avoidable.  Your actions in the course of one or two seconds can have life-long consequences, both for you, and for whomever it is that you injure or kill as a result of driving while you are intoxicated.  Don’t let yourself become a statistic.

Holiday Alcohol Safety

Choosing a designated driver is a great step, but you should still be wary – make sure that that designated driver really has not had anything to drink.  Be careful to not get into a vehicle operated by anyone that displays the first sign of intoxication.  Of course, alcohol impairs one’s judgment in the first place, so have a plan about how you are going to deal with a situation before it arises.  Call a friend.  Call a cab.  Take a timeout and think what could happen as a result of your decision.

Your Rights if You Are Injured

Contact Worby Groner Edelman if you or a loved one is the victim of a drunk driver.  You may have rights in the criminal justice system, and we can assist you in your dealings with the criminal authorities.  We’ll explain all of your rights, including whether you can sue that intoxicated driver for your injuries.  The answer to that question will depend upon the seriousness of the injury that you sustained as a result of the accident.  In a New York motor vehicle accident, your medical bills will be paid by the company that insures the vehicle in which you are riding, regardless of who was actually at fault for the accident.  If you are a pedestrian, your bills will be paid by the company that insures the vehicle that hit you.  Keep in mind that you have only thirty days from the date of the accident to apply for this type of coverage, called No Fault Insurance, so it’s important that you contact an attorney immediately.

Dram Shop Action

You might also have the right to sue a bar or a restaurant that continued to serve alcohol to an individual when it knew or should have known that he or she was already intoxicated.  This type of lawsuit is known as a Dram Shop Action.  A lawsuit can also be brought against anyone who helps an underage person obtain alcohol if that underage person causes an accident as a result of being impaired.

Contact Us for a Free Consultation

The law in this area is complex.  Contact  the White Plains accident attorneys at Worby Groner Edelman first.  We’ll answer your questions, and help guide you through the complexities.  There’s never an obligation, and we don’t charge a fee unless we recover money for you.


Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP White Plains Office 11 Martine Ave, Penthouse
White Plains, NY 10606
(914) 686-3700

Contact Stamp

Contact Us

Dear Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP,

Hello, my name is , I am interested in scheduling a consultation and would like to speak about . Please email me or call me .

Thank you