Uninsured Motorist Accident | White Plains Attorneys By Bill Groner on February 18, 2014

We have all heard about the horrors caused by hit-and-run drivers.  If you have been involved in this type of motor vehicle accident, either as a pedestrian or the driver of another vehicle, call the White Plains motor vehicle accident attorneys at Worby Groner Edelman.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

uninsured motoristLeaving the scene an accident which caused injuries is a crime in New York, and in many cases will lead to involvement with the police department, as well as the local district attorney.  However, monetary damages are also available for victims of hit-and-run accidents.  This is because the State of New York requires that all New York automobile insurance policies provide for a type of coverage known as Uninsured Motorist coverage.  Your own insurance policy might list this as “UM” coverage.  This type of coverage makes benefits available to you, even if you are unable to identify the vehicle that caused the accident.  The elements of proof involved are contact between your vehicle and the unidentified vehicle; that the accident was reported to the police within 24 hours (unless you can show that it was not reasonably possible to make such a report, or that it was made as soon as was reasonably possible); and that your insurance company was notified with in a specific time period, generally within 90 days, or as soon as was reasonably practicable.

Settlement or Arbitration?

After that level of proof is satisfied, it has to be shown that the hit-and-run vehicle was at fault for the accident, and that you have sustained a “Serious Injury” as defined in the New York Insurance Law.  Uninsured Motorist claims are generally resolved either by settlement with your own insurance company, or if it is not possible to settle, then through an arbitration proceeding with the American Arbitration Association.  Even if a full arbitration hearing is required, the claim will in most cases be resolved much faster than through a regular lawsuit in court.

What to Do After a Motor Vehicle Accident

In addition to damages being available for injuries suffered, your own insurance company will pay No Fault benefits, which will cover your medical bills, and lost wages from your employment, within certain limits.  If you have been involved in any motor vehicle accident, you should call the motor vehicle accident attorneys at Worby Groner Edelman as soon as you are able to do so, because the law requires you to make a claim for No Fault benefits within thirty days of the date of accident.  If the claim is not made within this time period, your insurance company can deny payment of your medical bills, and lost wages.

How Our Legal Team Can Help

Call Worby Groner Edelman if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident of any type.  Our attorneys are experienced in motor vehicle and uninsured motorist accident law, and can help you navigate the process, answer your questions, and help to get you the monetary damages which the law entitles you to receive.  Being involved in a hit-and-run accident is bad enough; let us handle the legal side of things.  We’ll answer all of your questions, help you with the insurance forms, and process your claim quickly and efficiently.  The consultation is free, there’s no obligation, and there’s never a fee unless we are successful.

Related to This

Team at Worby Vecchio Edelman LLP

Worby Vecchio Edelman LLP

The personal injury attorneys at Worby Vecchio Edelman, LLP, have advocated for the rights of injured clients for over 40 years. Our attorneys' affiliations and recognitions include:

  • Super Lawyers
  • New York State Trial Lawyers Association
  • American Trial Lawyers Association
  • New York State Bar Association
  • Westchester County Bar Association
  • The National Top 100 Trial Lawyers
  • New York State Trial Lawyers Association
  • Best Lawyers

To schedule a free consultation at our law office, contact us online or call (914) 686-3700.

Contact Us Today

Social Accounts Sprite