Hundreds of people who worked on the World Trade Center cleanup after the Sept. 11 terror attacks have filed a class-action lawsuit.
Hundreds of people who worked on the World Trade Center cleanup after the Sept. 11 terror attacks have filed a class-action lawsuit claiming they weren’t protected from dust, asbestos and other toxins.
The lawsuit, filed in federal court on Friday and made public Monday, was brought against Silverstein Properties and the four construction companies hired to oversee removal of the 1.5 million tons of debris.
David Worby is a lawyer for about 800 plaintiffs. He said they will seek billions of dollars in compensation. The lawsuit also asks for a system to track for the next 20 years all who were exposed.
The lawsuit alleges that many workers didn’t have access to protective gear, and those who did weren’t taught how to wear it properly. Last week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a study showing that many cleanup workers suffered from respiratory problems long after the work was done and that some still battle ailments. Some of the plaintiffs suffer from afflictions ranging from tumors to heartburn; some joined the suit because they fear they risk developing cancer in the future. A spokesman for Silverstein said the cleanup was conducted by the city and the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The other defendants said they hadn’t seen the complaint and had no immediate comment.